Thursday, March 24, 2011

In Sickness and In Health

My mother-in-law, Carolyn Trayal, has lived practically her entire life with multiple sclerosis and on the morning March 17th she went to live with Jesus and the angels in Heaven.  Diagnosed with MS in her early twenties, she graduated from Ole Miss, married my father-in-law, raised two children and was a teacher until about 10 years ago when the disease was beginning to take over.  She was a breast cancer survivor but the MS ended up taking her life in the end.  I only wish I had known her as the strong, caring, energetic, healthy woman that everybody talks about.  I just know she and I would have gotten along great.  I can see the two of us getting things ready for the Grove every week or going shopping for the girls. 

I'm very thankful that my daughter, Charlie, was also able to get to know her Nana over the past 3 years.  Charlie would sit by her bed and read to her every time she went over there.  She'd crawl all over Nana, they'd take naps together, and would always be singing and dancing for her.  The last time we saw Nana was Sunday, March 6th.  Charlie was so exciting that she had mastered writing her name and was showing it off to her.  Nana was very proud.  So naturally, it broke my heart when Chuck was telling Charlie that Nana went to live with Jesus so she wouldn't be sick anymore.  I'm also not sure how much a 3-year old actually understands about death so I've decided to put together a picture album of all the pictures I have taken over the past 5 years of knowing Ms. Carolyn for Charlie so that she'll always remember her Nana.

The one person who I worry about most during this difficult time is my father-in-law, Mr. Chuck Trayal.  He and Ms. Carolyn truly have a unique kind of love for each other.  They met while at Ole Miss and Carolyn graduated early just so she and Mr. Trayal could get married.  They had two children together; my husband, Chuck, and Liz Ann.  I am sure most men would have put their bed ridden wives in a nursing home a long time ago and had already moved on by now but not Mr. Trayal.  He took his vows seriously and took care of her until her very last breath.  He would always make sure she was presentable when company was coming over; put her jewelry on her, her makeup and would even paint her nails.  I am so thankful that my husband has a role model like him to look up to.  The words "In Sickness and In Health" make me think about my in-laws and the true love they had for each other the entire 35 years they were married.

This picture was taken of me, Carolyn and Charlie on Mother's Day in 2009.

2 comments:

  1. The tears that are flowing down my cheeks right now are due to happiness that you are a part of the Trayal family. And that you realize how special Carolyn was. Sharing with us makes me very happy even though I am sad about her passing. She was so fun and loving and such a Rebel!

    thank you for loving big Chuck, little Chuck ( as I call him), Liz Ann and of course, Charlie Ann.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you all and I am praying for you!! Great blog!!!

    ReplyDelete